Ásatrúar Scouting and Guiding is composed of multiple small non-aligned Scouting associations, open to both boys and girls at various ages of Ásatrú/Odinist groupings.
Several organizations exist, among them “Scout Forn Siðr” in Stavanger, Norway and Malmö, Sweden, as well as a few prospective members in the United Kingdom and Poland, named for Forn Siðr (“Old Northern Tradition” in Old Norse) and the Young Vikings Club in the United States, a separate organization despite the Boy Scouts of America accepting Ásatrú units, e.g. Troop 1239, accepted into the BSA Great Salt Lake Council.
Scout Forn Siðr
Levels and ideals:
- Wolf Cubs
- Boy Scouts, whose emblem incorporates the Mjöllnir (Thor’s hammer) as well as runic letters
- Girl Scouts (Valkyries)
- Rovers, whose emblem incorporates the Mjöllnir. The highest Rover crew award is the Knights of Odin, whose emblem incorporates Sleipnir of the Tjängvide image stone. Rover applicants must participate in the build of a schniggen (a small ship with oars and sail, faering style) and proceed with an expeditionary project.
- The Valknut Scout is the highest troop award
- Scouter (Scout/Guide adult leadership), whose emblem is the raven. The Gylfaginning Award is the highest recognition for outstanding service and contribution to the organization.
Ásatrú Scout Law:
- A Scout’s honor is to be trusted
- A Scout is loyal
- A Scout is brave
- A Scout’s duty is to be useful and to help others
- A Scout tells the truth always
- A Scout is responsible
- A Scout does nothing by half
- A Scout is disciplined
- A Scout is persevering
Young Vikings Club
Ranks of the Young Vikings:
- Standard Bearer
If you cannot find a local group, it is HIGHLY advisable to take the initiative and form a group with your kids and their friends. You can be their Scout Guide and teach them survival skills, camping, and the ways of our ancestors. The Boy Scouts of America WILL now recognize heathen groups and accept them into their chapters as well.
Be carried into the fantasy world of Norse myth and Viking legend.
"A historical fiction that carries you into the fantasy world of Norse myth and Viking legend."
Paperback - Hardcover - eBook
Available in bookstores everywhere!
Copyright © 2015-2017 Spangenhelm Publishing – All rights reserved. No part may be reproduced in any written, electronic, recording, or photocopying form without written permission of the author, Njord Kane, or the publisher, Spangenhelm Publishing. <visit website>