RECENT COMMENTS ON SEARCH ENGINE ROUNDTABLE

Below are the most recent 30 comments. I try to keep it clean of comment spam, but some times things get through and it takes me several hours to get to it. So please excuse any of that comment spam.

Comment ID #4930549737 at 05/28/2020 05:32 am:

Huggsy Capone commented on Did Google's May 2020 Core Update Mess Up Google's Search Results?

Google is chock full of billions of door-way pages that have been around for years. They just cannot seem to squash those blatantly obvious types of sites. That's irrespective of the movement in the SERPS created by this May update. In terms of the May update itself, it's pretty evident that the resounding opinion is that Google has made a diabolical mess of their search engine. Complete lack of on-topic relevance to searcher intent being displayed from May 4th onwards. It's becoming almost impossible to find the answers I'm looking for these days, so I end up bypassing Google altogether and just searching directly on the applicable platform for the type of info/product I require.

Comment ID #4930543911 at 05/28/2020 05:22 am:

I'm seeing that too. There's an evident lack of serving of results to specific topic or type of question being searched. You just get thrown up a load of results from high authority domains that have zero on-topic relevance to what you were actually searching.

Comment ID #4930480634 at 05/28/2020 03:33 am:

MichaelDonelly commented on Did Google's May 2020 Core Update Mess Up Google's Search Results?

Too much screen real estate for monetization is exactly what killed yahoo 20 years ago. We've probably seen peak Google.

Comment ID #4930478865 at 05/28/2020 03:30 am:

crusad3r commented on Did Google's May 2020 Core Update Mess Up Google's Search Results?

And the "people" that gain +50% are Google's own websites, other large monopolies/semi-monopolies and paid ads.

Comment ID #4930474742 at 05/28/2020 03:23 am:

There are other ways to reign in their monopoly. EU, for example, should ban Google as default search engine in browsers. Having switched to Bing before viable European search engine emerges. US could also forcefully make it at least 50/50 with Bing.

Comment ID #4930473116 at 05/28/2020 03:20 am:

You owning independent forum is insult to Google and the other Internet monopolies which feel entitled to have full control over Internet discourse. Of course they will want you to shut down and rob you of any chance of fair search result visibility.

Comment ID #4930457500 at 05/28/2020 02:52 am:

anvesh commented on Complaints About Indexing Issues In Google May Be Related To May 2020 Core Update

My indexing issues are really wired. The URL was indexed in US but not in the country I was targeting. I think something was messed up and Google doesn't want to agree it :D

Comment ID #4930434614 at 05/28/2020 02:10 am:

Steve commented on Did Google's May 2020 Core Update Mess Up Google's Search Results?

Oh and I forgot to mention indexing sample pages which I forgot to delete! And a test post which contains the word TEST 😂 it’s like this update has had the complete opposite effect of what it should have had!

Comment ID #4930433725 at 05/28/2020 02:09 am:

Im glad I’m not alone with this thought. I’m surprised nobody has yet mentioned indexing issues also. The indexing is ridiculous, I’ve had the same know it alls tell me it’s all about quality and Google have said it themselves perhaps the posts are not of good enough quality for the serps! So with one of my sites barely a post exists in the index anymore but google will however index tags which are set to no index and have barely anything on them! All my posts are completely unique link out to relevant authority sites, have unique images and follow everything to the dot. Yet nope won’t index no matter what I try. It’s an absolute joke this update, I’ve seen the rise of spam sites again, terrible English, scraped content and spammy link profiles, welcome to the rebirth of blackhat SEO, Mark my words those of us who have bowed down to Google and given them all they asked for will suffer while the rest of them flourish! I’d bet my life on ranking a site using black hat seo now opposed to following Google’s guidelines. Unfortunately they’ve dominated and they will not fall.

Comment ID #4930387911 at 05/28/2020 12:50 am:

David commented on Did Google's May 2020 Core Update Mess Up Google's Search Results?

True, I could see websites with just business listing linkbase are performing better than us. This update is a shit update.

Comment ID #4930250175 at 05/27/2020 09:53 pm:

12centuries commented on Google Image Search Exact Size Filter To Be Fixed Next Week

Search like this: <code>outer space imagesize:5760x1080</code>

Comment ID #4930249647 at 05/27/2020 09:53 pm:

you can still search by specific size by adding the "imagesize:" search operator. For example, <code>outer space imagesize:5760x1080</code>

Comment ID #4930154260 at 05/27/2020 08:21 pm:

John commented on Did Google's May 2020 Core Update Mess Up Google's Search Results?

I agree, this update is a total mess and as pointed out in previous posts, Google Books is everywhere. What's the point of them? Where's the relevance to the searches I make? I ignore those results when I search for something because it has absolutely no relevance. What is clear, as I use Google for my searches, is that I have not seen any improvement with this update.

Comment ID #4930061618 at 05/27/2020 06:43 pm:

HDTV Supply commented on Core Web Vitals Replaces Speed Report In Google Search Console

I looked at one of the bad links and it was mostly text so I uploaded it to Google again and went from 55 to 88.

Comment ID #4930001320 at 05/27/2020 05:45 pm:

Christian Noel commented on SEO Friendly Fonts? Nope, Google Does Not Care About Your Font Selection.

Today is a good day to Optimize!

Comment ID #4929975322 at 05/27/2020 05:22 pm:

Deacyde do hurtin commented on Did Google's May 2020 Core Update Mess Up Google's Search Results?

That's the whole premise of gremlins, and that's the last thing we need, search engine gremlins... Running around, multiplying and causing bing search results in google.

Comment ID #4929937286 at 05/27/2020 04:49 pm:

John A. User commented on Did Google's May 2020 Core Update Mess Up Google's Search Results?

If you break google into babies, then one will grow stronger than the rest and we'll probably be back to the problem again.

Comment ID #4929706693 at 05/27/2020 01:51 pm:

How's your links labeled that are in the user generate content areas? Do they have the UGC rel attribute added to the link? https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2019/09/evolving-nofollow-new-ways-to-identify.html

Comment ID #4929639148 at 05/27/2020 01:00 pm:

omniscient commented on Did Google's May 2020 Core Update Mess Up Google's Search Results?

I have 13 year old forum. Hit pretty bad by Google. So much so that I removed Analytics from the source. I'm at the point where I'm only at 20% of my traffic is from Google, which I'm grateful for because relying on their search engine for traffic is a test of your mental health. I've gone from 3-4m pages in the index to 300k. It goes to 1m then back down. My SEO is excellent for the site. We are natural, have authority, and pass every validation. And yet, updates come that take away large chunks of new visitors. Will Google fix this? I really doubt it. Over the past 3-4 years each Core Update seems to make things worse. I wish the DoJ would break up this monopoly. Can't help but feel these updates are not meant to improve search but instead to improve profits with advertising income and internal service links. When are we going to have another search engine move up in the ranks? I switched to DDG a year ago. Fairly happy with it. How do we get more people to use it?

Comment ID #4929632674 at 05/27/2020 12:56 pm:

Martin Smith commented on SEO Friendly Fonts? Nope, Google Does Not Care About Your Font Selection.

Quality content Thanks for sharing.

Comment ID #4929629699 at 05/27/2020 12:54 pm:

Deacyde do hurtin commented on SEO Friendly Fonts? Nope, Google Does Not Care About Your Font Selection.

But if you use comic sans, I do think you'll have some people with pitchforks and torches outside your establishment...

Comment ID #4929611867 at 05/27/2020 12:40 pm:

juggass14 commented on Examples Of Sites Impacted By The Google May 2020 Core Update

Damn i was having over 200k ahrefs traffic at <a href="https://thetecsite.com">https://thetecsite.com</a>. now down to 60k. If anybody know how to fix please help.

Comment ID #4929550127 at 05/27/2020 11:53 am:

Ben Guest commented on Did Google's May 2020 Core Update Mess Up Google's Search Results?

I was just about to say the same thing. Seems like the implementation of those new link attributes at its core. Get it?

Comment ID #4929531737 at 05/27/2020 11:39 am:

Steven Beckley commented on Did Google's May 2020 Core Update Mess Up Google's Search Results?

Google has way to many ads now.. 7 for first page is overkill (reminds me of looksmart and overture). Bing has to many as well. So I decided to look at duckduckgo and I think I will start using them instead.

Comment ID #4929464945 at 05/27/2020 10:48 am:

snuffy commented on SEO Friendly Fonts? Nope, Google Does Not Care About Your Font Selection.

I make the post above then find the article about Google testing font size. So, Google does worry about font because font does matter in the grand scheme, and I believe if something matters in the grand scheme, then directly or indirectly it will matter in the SERPs. Get to work on your fonts.

Comment ID #4929460026 at 05/27/2020 10:44 am:

Smart typography can have a huge impact on visitor engagement.

Comment ID #4929393272 at 05/27/2020 09:51 am:

Village Idiot commented on SEO Friendly Fonts? Nope, Google Does Not Care About Your Font Selection.

Use Klingon font.

Comment ID #4929391702 at 05/27/2020 09:50 am:

Jeff Fidler commented on Did Google's May 2020 Core Update Mess Up Google's Search Results?

Totally agree - this update looks like it was designed to maximize Google profits, not improve search results.

Comment ID #4929376201 at 05/27/2020 09:37 am:

PhysicsForums.com commented on Did Google's May 2020 Core Update Mess Up Google's Search Results?

It's about diversity and not ranking spam or crap. That is the point. No one is complaining about competition between good businesses.

Comment ID #4929354940 at 05/27/2020 09:20 am:

Chandranath Shetty commented on Core Web Vitals Replaces Speed Report In Google Search Console

LCP should occur within 2.5 seconds FID of less than 100 milliseconds CLS of less than 0.1. Who decides all these numbers